For many years, the French manufacturer has been Peugeot a leading brand. The brand had been successful for a long time. When the 208 In 2012, the Peugeot 208 was launched to become Peugeot's most popular car and surpass previous successes. The Peugeot 208 is the sequel to the Peugeot 208. 207. For this, the model 206 and 205 already on the market. The Peugeot 205 is also called the saviour of this car brand. Since 1982, 142,349 of them have been sold in the Netherlands. The Peugeot 206 has had some 153,218 new sales in the Netherlands. All these types were incredibly popular!
The Peugeot 208 is still popular with an average of 438 sales per month in the Netherlands. Worldwide, this model is often at the top of the lists of most sold used cars. This model is especially recommended for its technical performance, driving style, looks and price. Since 2019, an electric version of the 208 has also been on sale. Unfortunately, it is not all roses and moonlight. Problems with the Peugeot 208 unfortunately also occur.
Common problems Peugeot 208
The Peugeot 208 is one of the most sought-after used cars on Marktplaats. What problems with the 208 variant should be taken into account? The most important issues are listed here for you:
- Check the brakes carefully! These are known to wear out quickly on the 208.
- Be careful with the 1.6 petrol engines. With these types, the ignition coils often refuse. It is important to have this checked. This can cause serious damage to the catalytic converter.
- With manual transmissions, pay particular attention to the sound of the transmission. If it makes too much noise, this is definitely not a good sign! This could indicate serious problems with the engine. Loud bangs in the suspension are not part of the noise and are risky, pay attention to this as well.
- Check the operation of the hand brake cable, this can sometimes be faulty. This can lead to dangerous situations, so check it extra carefully!
- The wipers are of poor quality and often in a bad state.
- GTI version? Pay attention to the engine oil temperature. A common problem is that it rises too quickly because the sensor does not work properly.
- Want to buy a 2Tronic automatic transmission? Then pay extra attention! This model is known for its many mikes. Because this is not really an automatic but rather a computer-controlled one, it often causes problems. Consider carefully whether this type is worth buying. Of course, everyone must decide this for themselves. The model has many advantages and disadvantages.
Buying advice Peugeot 208
The Peugeot 208 is definitely not a car where anything is wrong with it! This car is known to be very reliable and is therefore often a good buy. By taking into account the most common defects, a bad purchase can often be avoided. Buying advice Peugeot 208; take your time to check the car. Check if there are any defects or flaws to be found. This can help you negotiate the price. This car is certainly an interesting buy. It is important to take into account the most common problems mentioned above. Of course, invoices of maintenance are good to have.
I have a peugeot 208 GT-line from 2018. I am experiencing the following problems start/stop does not work, active city brake, constantly gives malfunctions. my garage does not get this fixed.... so this probably my last peugeot.
Dear Marc, Thank you for your contribution. Annoying that you are experiencing these problems. Personally, I am absolutely not in favour of the start/stop system. This cannot be good for an engine. That at every stoplight
is turned off. This applies in particular to engines with a turbo.
I have a 208 GTI that has no power anymore. This has no engine faults is read out. Turbo is good also checked. Anyone have suggestions what else it could be?
Hello LM, annoying to read that the 208 GTI lacks power. It is of course difficult to judge from a distance. But has the air mass meter been checked and how long has the fuel filter been in place? Finally, maybe you have refuelled abroad? In some countries the quality of fuel is a lot lower than in the Netherlands.
I always fill up with super 98 and have not filled up abroad. Car has only done 60000km. I haven't checked the petrol filter yet. I did clean the tank. Is it possible to measure the air mass meter? Thanks for your reply.
It bothers me that my instrument display says I can drive another 3000km before the 208 has to be serviced. A day later, when I have driven 4km, the warning says 2900km before the service. I think this is cheating. I drive 4 km and the warning says that I have driven 100 km. Can I have this message removed from my instrument screen? The importer does not give a reply.
Dear L Vankan,
That is an annoying problem. Nowadays, many universal car dealers also have read-out equipment with which they can write out these kinds of messages. In this case, you might want to enquire at a
We have/had a Peugeot 208 from 2012 and are considering getting one again. It is a nice car. But...the oil consumption. 1Ltr per 1100km is a bit much. Has that problem been solved? If so, from which year?
Good to read that you like it. Which engine variant is it? The VTI engines do have a bad reputation regarding oil consumption.