Van insurance?

Do you have a van and want to insure it? Then keep in mind that it is not the same as a normal car. Looking at what the tax authorities mean by a van, the van must meet the following requirements:

  • The van is mainly equipped for transporting goods.
  • The cargo area should have a fixed, flat loading floor across the entire width and length of the cargo area.
  • No seats may be present in the cargo area.
  • The maximum authorised mass is a maximum of 3,500 kilograms. The permissible maximum mass is the weight of the van plus the permissible weight of passengers and cargo combined. If you exceed this 3,500 kilos, it is no longer a van but a truck.

Do you meet these requirements? Then you can look for a suitable van insurance policy!

Points of attention for van insurance

If you search online you will soon find out that there are many providers for van insurance. Do you go for basic insurance or do you want additional insurances as well? In any case, take the following into account with a van insurance.

  1. Decide what exactly you want to insure and how much you want to spend per month on insurance. If budget is low, you may decide to disregard supplementary insurance and go for the basic insurance only. If you have more budget, you can of course choose additional packages such as breakdown cover, cargo insurance (for the stuff in your van), legal expenses insurance (for legal help) or passenger accident insurance. Of course, the more additional insurances you take out, the higher the premium. So weigh up carefully what you need and what you really cannot do without.
  2. Compare the price for basic insurance. As with a passenger car, you can choose between WA, WA + Limited Casco and WA + full casco. With WA, the basic package is the simplest and covers the least, if you want full security, you should go for WA+ full body. So decide carefully what you want and compare the prices of different insurers.
  3. Take a good look at the general terms and conditions and what is covered; this can vary considerably from one insurer to another. So look carefully at the small print and decide what is important to you, so you may need additional insurance.
  4. Other services such as replacement transport, for example, can also vary from provider to provider, look carefully at these too.
  5. Do you travel abroad a lot? Then also take into account the coverage abroad, suppose you are stranded in France with a breakdown it is nice to know where you stand. These are important points to think about.

Not getting anywhere and still want more advice? Then approach an independent insurance adviser in your area who can do the work for you!

What's the difference? WA/ WA+ difference

We also have the various insurance policies in this blog explained but roughly speaking, the differences are as follows:

  • WA: the legally required insurance, this applies to all cars and is meant to cover damage you cause to others with your van.
  • WA+ limited casco: With this, you also insure damage to the car itself in certain cases. For example, damage due to theft, fire and storm and windscreen damage. Damage to your van due to a collision is not covered.
  • WA+ full casco: This is the most comprehensive insurance and here you also get compensation for damage to your van due to a collision, even if the collision is your own fault.

Want to make sure your car is a van? Then use this tool from the tax authority.

Good luck with your choice!

Frequently asked questions about car insurance

We have already dedicated several articles in our blog to car insurance. You generally have a choice of 3 different coverages:

  • WA (third-party liability)
  • WA+ (limited casco)
  • All-risk (extended hull)

The exact name depends on the insurer and so do the conditions. However, there are similarities between different providers.

Differences car insurance policies

  • The Third-party insurance is the most basic car insurance. This insurance covers damage to others and provides assistance in case of damage. Additional cover varies by insurer.
  • WA+ (limited casco) covers more damage. In addition to damage to others, consider fire and storm damage, burglary and theft, animal damage and window damage, for example.
  • The name all risk says it all, all the risk will be covered. The main difference between all-risk car insurance and limited casco is that an insurer will also cover collision damage in case you are at fault in an accident. Vandalism will also be covered which is not the case with limited casco. But to be sure if this is also the case with your insurer of choice, we always refer you to the insurer for more info!

Frequently asked questions about car insurance

The differences between the insurances is in itself clear but still many people have additional questions. Below is a list of the most frequently asked questions. Remember that there are differences between insurers, so always contact the insurer of your choice for the current conditions and coverage. Being well informed is half the battle.

  • What about claim-free years?
    Generally speaking, for every year you are insured and have not had a claim you get a claim-free year. The more claim-free years you build up, the lower the premium will be. If you do get a claim, you can lose the claim-free years.
  • If I have damage, can I have it repaired at any garage?
    This varies by insurer; with some insurers, you have free choice. Other insurers require you to go to an affiliated garage. So be well informed about this! There are also additional insurances where you are free to choose the repair company so you can still choose which garage you go to. So find out more about this before you take out insurance.
  • How much is the deductible?
    This too varies from one insurer to another. How high the excess is has to do with several factors such as the driver's age and which insurance you choose. So get this straight before buying insurance.
  • Is my car insured even if someone else drives my car?
    Yes, car insurance actually applies to the car and not a person. If it happens that someone else is behind the wheel, the car is insured as usual. The owner of the car does remain liable for everything that happens to the car.
  • I want to sell my car, what do I do about insurance?
    Very simple, cancel your insurance! Report this to your insurer so that the insurance stops or is transferred to your new car.

What about travel insurance and the car?

Taking out travel insurance is a smart choice, after all, you never know what could happen during your road trip. Soon you'll be stuck with your car in the Pyrenees and need replacement transport. Of course, travel insurance (or car insurance) very many things that are not just about your car. But since we are a car blog, we are now just looking at what travel insurance can do for your vehicle.

Imagine you are cruising on holiday and suddenly you are hit from behind by an inattentive driver. It is not serious, you are not hurt yourself, but your car has to go to the garage. Especially if you drive a not so common make and model, this can take a long time in some countries. For example, if parts have to be ordered. Until the car is ready again, you have to arrange an overnight stay. That means: extra, unexpected costs. Or if it's even more serious: you do get injured and you can no longer drive and your car is totaled. In that case, you cannot travel back to the Netherlands yourself.

Let's not dwell on it too much, but of course this can happen to anyone. So if you want to go on holiday relaxed, it is definitely advisable to take out travel insurance. There are different packages and options per insurer, for instance choose extra coverage so that you and your car get back to the Netherlands safely. That return is called "repatriation". You can then simply go home and not pay for the costs. Especially when travelling far away, this is quite a relief. Be well informed by your insurer before you travel!

Which car insurance policy?

Insure your car all-risk, limited-casualty or third-party? When you buy a car, you need to think about this carefully and weigh up the risks. In this article, we explain the general differences, we write "general" on purpose because different conditions apply between providers. There are also various additional coverages you can choose. In the end, of course, it is also a matter of feeling, if you don't want to run any risk then all-risk car insurance is obviously better for your peace of mind. In this article, a brief explanation of the car insurance and additional covers.

All-risk, limited casco or third-party

The exact name depends on the insurer and so do the conditions. However, there are similarities between different providers.

  • which car insuranceThe Third-party insurance is the most basic insurance and covers damage to others and provides assistance in case of damage.
  • Limited casco covers more damage, besides damage to others, consider fire and explosion damage, burglary and theft, storm/hail and flood damage, animal damage and windscreen damage. This is a frequently chosen insurance policy.
  • The name all risk says it, all risk will be covered. The main difference between all risk car insurance and limited casco is that an insurer will also cover collision damage in case you are at fault in an accident. Vandalism will also be covered which is not the case with limited casco. But to be sure if this is also the case with your insurer of choice, we always refer you to the insurer for more info!

What about additional coverages?

Most insaas also offer supplementary packages. coverages. Consider the following options:

  • Roadside assistance insurance so you get replacement transport or a repair arranged in case of a breakdown. This is often valid throughout Europe.
  • Passenger insurance that also covers your fellow passengers and belongings in case of injury and damage.
  • Traffic legal assistance where you get legal and expert help in traffic disputes.
  • Renewal of, for example, the new-value or purchase value. This is especially important when buying a new car, for example, if your new car is stolen in the first 3 years then the insurance will cover the purchase of a new equivalent car.

When do you choose which insurance?

First of all, everyone has to decide this for themselves, but there are of course guidelines. Most people insure a new car for the first six years all-risk. This is because the purchase value and daily value are high and repairing or replacing a damage or vehicle is expensive. After 6 years, it becomes a different story, because cars depreciate quickly. In that case, you can opt for limited hull insurance, for instance. Of course, make sure you have a buffer to be able to replace or repair the car in case of an accident due to fault.

As mentioned, all insurance types have different conditions, designations and additional cover. What suits you best can vary from one situation to another. Be well informed and get well insured on the road!


Damage to the car, how does it affect car insurance?

If you own a car, you naturally take care of it. But sometimes an accident or collision is in a small corner. If you cause damage and claim it from the insurance company, in most cases this will affect the amount of your premium. If you build up claim-free years, you will receive a discount on your premium. This discount can be substantial. Sometimes you can also insure yourself for a reduction in your no-claim discount. Then the consequences will be less if you do have to make a claim with your insurer.

Own fault or not?

When claiming damages, it matters a lot who is at fault for the collision. If you have all-risk insurance and someone else hits you, the situation is obviously different from if you are the guilty party in a collision. In the latter case, the insurance will only pay out the damage to the other party if you are only third-party insured. With all-risk insurance, damage to your own car is also paid for. However, there is often an excess of sometimes several hundred euros. In all cases, you have to pay this amount yourself.

Changing insurance

If you have claimed damages from Alpina or another car insurance policy then this is registered in the CIS, the Central Information System. This system can be consulted by all insurance companies. If you want to switch insurers, the CIS will be consulted. If this shows that you have claimed damage more often than average, you may be refused or a higher premium may be charged. You are also at risk of refusal if you have ever committed fraud or are known to be a defaulter of insurance premiums. You should also be aware that you cannot always take your accrued no-claims discount with you when you switch.

Assessment by an insurance expert

If you have damage to your car and want to claim it from the insurance company, you may have an expert come by. This is a representative of the insurance company. He will take the damage and assess the cost estimate of the garage that will repair the damage. It will also assess the claim form filled in by both parties or a report from the police. Only after the insurance company agrees can the car be repaired. Even in the case of a total loss, the insurer may send an expert to assess whether this conclusion is justified or not.

Damage to a leased car

If you have a leased car, you pay a fixed amount per month for this. This amount includes all-risk insurance. If you have damage, you can therefore often have the car repaired free of charge. It does not matter whether the collision was your fault or not. But again, of course, you are not supposed to report to the garage several times with self-inflicted damage. It is then likely that costs will be charged to you as a user. This is usually stipulated in the lease contract.

Which insurance is right for me?

If you are going to insure your car you will naturally look for a cheap car insurance. Nobody pays a high premium for fun. Always read the insurance conditions carefully, though. Sometimes a slightly more expensive insurance can be a better choice because it provides better cover, for instance. As a young person and as a novice driver, you always pay a higher premium. This is logical because the risk of damage is higher. Studies have shown this. The insurance company always estimates the risk of a claim and bases the amount of the premium on that.

3 handy tips to prevent damage to your car

A car is an expensive possession for many people. You have worked hard for it and saved for it for a long time, and then of course you want to enjoy it for as long as possible. To achieve this, it is important to take good care of your car. A good start is already if you neatly follow all traffic rules and drive safely.

These 3 tips make all the difference

Have you also noticed that some people need a new car every time after just a few years, while others keep driving the same car endlessly? To a large extent, this is down to the owner and driver of the car. A car can run well for ten to 15 years, but you need to follow the tips below.

Always drive a perfectly maintained car

With a car that is professionally maintained, you run much less risk of damage. The tyres are inflated, the engine runs smoothly and there are no technical defects that could cause danger. If you then take care to top up fluids like oil and coolant yourself in between servicing, you've got it all together. The next time you reluctantly make that appointment for a check-up, also think that this way you can drive your car longer.

Always obey traffic rules everywhere

A car accident happens quickly and usually involves a lot of damage. Of course, you cannot influence how other drivers behave in traffic, but you can set a good example yourself. Respecting the rules at all times reduces the likelihood of an accident due to your own fault and, consequently, damages you have to pay.

Park your car in a safe place

To park your car, it is good to put some effort into picking a good spot. A spot where there is little chance of damage from a vehicle hitting your car and a spot that is not so dark and secluded that it attracts car thieves. Another good idea is to make use of a protective cover if your car is left outside.

So what if things do go wrong?

You can never completely rule out damage. However, you can make sure that in case of a breakdown you can always go to a good garage and that in case of an accident you are covered by a legal expenses insurance and passenger insurance in addition to your basic insurance. Do you have those things taken care of just fine? Then you are already saving yourself a lot of worries.

Transfer your licence plate if you are staying in the Netherlands longer

If you stay in the Netherlands for more than 4 months, it is important to register in the Basic Registration of Persons (BRP). If you move to the Netherlands from Eastern or Central Europe, for example, and take your car with you, you will no longer be allowed to drive a car with an international registration number from then on. If you go to study or are temporarily seconded to the Netherlands, this may be slightly different. Read below what the rules are for registration in your situation.

Registered in the Netherlands

Are you registered in the Netherlands because you are going to live here permanently? Then you are not allowed to drive a car with international registration plates. In this case, you should immediately transfer the registration plate to a Dutch one, and take out a new car insurance in the Netherlands. This can be done for example at Polisa insurance. is there especially for Eastern and Central Europeans in the Netherlands. For example, you can count on service in your own language here, and claim-free years from your home country are carried over to insurance in the Netherlands, giving you extra discounts.

registerExceptions in this situation are if you use the car for a maximum of two weeks in the Netherlands, or if you drive your employer's car with an employer exemption, for example.

Not registered in the Netherlands

Are you not yet registered in the Netherlands but in the Netherlands for a longer period of time? Then it is necessary to transfer your car to a Dutch number plate and Dutch insurance after six months. A Car insurance at Polisa also offers benefits in this case. For instance, with insurance at, you can count on roadside assistance at home and abroad.

Studying in the Netherlands

If you are studying in the Netherlands from Eastern or Central Europe, this will initially only be temporary. Therefore, when you are a student, you will be allowed to drive your own car with original registration number in the Netherlands for your entire study period. Students automatically have an exemption based on international law. However, it is important that the course is recognised.

If you are going to work in the Netherlands besides studying, you do need to transfer the car's registration number and take out insurance in the Netherlands.

Seconded to the Netherlands

If you are seconded to the Netherlands, this will also be a temporary move. On secondment, you have an exemption based on international law. Throughout the posting period, you are therefore allowed to drive your own car in the Netherlands.

Of course, besides these four general situations, there are a lot of exceptions. Whether and when exactly you should transfer your car's registration plate therefore partly depends on your personal situation. In general; if you stay in the Netherlands for longer than six months, transfer your registration.


All-risk or wa casco car insurance - what are the differences?

Insuring your car all-risk or third-party is a dilemma many car owners face. In this article, we explain the general differences, we write "general" on purpose because different terms and conditions apply between providers. Next, we give examples of situations in which you can see when all-risk or wa casco is appropriate.In the end, of course, it is also a matter of feeling, if you do not want to run any risk then all-risk car insurance obviously better for your peace of mind.


The differences between All-risk and WA casco

Firstly, everyone who drives with a Dutch license plate is obliged to insure his or her car against third-party liability. In case you cause an accident, the insurance company will compensate the damage you cause. The damage to your own car will not be compensated in case of a WA insurance.

WA Casco, WA plus, Limited Casco

The exact name depends on the insurer and the conditions as well. However, there are similarities between the various providers. The WA casco insurance covers the damage that you cannot do anything about, for example:

  • Storm damage
  • Fire damage
  • Natural disasters
  • Theft
  • Burglary damage (whether any stolen goods are also compensated depends on the insurer)

All-risk car insurance

The biggest and most important difference between a all risk car insurance The most important thing about WA Casco is that the insurer also compensates the damage to your car. So also in case you are guilty of an accident.

When do you choose which insurance?

In the first place, everyone has to decide this for themselves, but there are of course guidelines. Usually, you insure a new car all-risk for the first 0-5 years. This is because the purchase value and daily value are high and repairing or replacing a damage or vehicle is expensive. After five years, it becomes a different story, because cars depreciate quickly. So suppose your car is still worth 5000 euros after five years, it is probably not wise to insure it for a few thousand euros a year. Of course, make sure you have a buffer to be able to replace or repair the car in case of an accident due to fault.
The same goes for WA and WA Casco, if your car is really getting old (15 years +) and is not a real exotic, then WA insurance is often the wiser choice. If you do cause damage, the damage of the other party is covered and you can buy another car for a few thousand euros.

What do you need to take out one of these car insurance policies?

Whereas in the past it was sometimes a "hassle" to stop or transfer your car insurance, these days it can (usually) be done at the press of a button or a phone call. Some insurers require the reporting code and the certificate of release of the car. So make sure you have it handy at all times.

Mileage insurance for your car?

A kilometre insurance for your car, we have seen it come up a few times already and since corona it is a form of insurance that is getting more attention. As in all industries, the insurance sector does not stand still and insurers continue to look for new concepts that meet the needs of us as consumers. An example of this is the so-called car insurance per kilometre. By means of this kilometre insurance, your premium can be a lot lower if you leave your car at home more often. This car insurance based on the number of kilometres driven is mainly aimed at people who drive little. So feel free to take the bike to save on your insurance costs.

Especially now that people are working more from home due to the corona crisis, this kind of insurance is more relevant than ever!

How does the kilometre insurance work?

kilometre car insuranceYou decide how many kilometres you expect to drive in a year and the insurance company calculates the premium accordingly. At the end of the year the insurer recalculates the premium on the basis of the actual number of kilometres driven. Have you driven less than expected after one year? The difference is then refunded. Have you used the car more often? If you add it all up, your insurance is still correct.
No matter how much you drive, you always pay a fixed rate from 25,000 kilometres a year and no surcharge for extra kilometres. So there will be no unpleasant surprises! You get a portion of the premium paid back if it turns out that you have left the car more often and therefore have driven fewer kilometres. We at think this is quite a nice system.

Less kilometres since corona

Dutch motor vehicles drove 16.6 per cent fewer kilometres in 2020 than in the previous year. Over three-quarters of the kilometres driven in 2020 were done by passenger cars. This is according to new provisional figures on vehicle kilometres from CBS. Dutch motor vehicles covered a total of almost 126.7 billion kilometres at home and abroad in 2020, compared to 151.8 billion kilometres in 2019. That is a decrease of 16.6 per cent. In coronary year 2020, Dutch passenger cars drove 19.7 per cent fewer kilometres than in 2019. Also in Belgium was driven about 14% less since corona broke out.

Based on these figures, it is crazy if you keep paying the same for your car insurance but use the car a lot less.

Mileage insurance providers

We know that Belgian insurer Corona Direct is one of the first providers of the kilometre car insurance. They offer this insurance for both motorcyclists and car drivers. According to their website, they refunded approximately EUR 2 million to customers who drove less than they expected. In the Netherlands, too, there are various insurers who have added the same concept of kilometre insurance to their product range. As far as we are concerned, this is a good initiative in these times, when it is important to look after the environment but also our own wallets!